Following I write about my experiences in staying at “Rock Sand Resort” on the island Koh Chang in Thailand. The Rock Sand Resort is located directly on the White Sand Beach on Koh Chang. When you open the room-door it’s only a few meters to the sea. They offer some different types of rooms – everything from rooms with fan to the penthouse.
I stayed there for holiday (with a budget like a backpacker is travelling with) from December 31, 2011 to January 14, 2012 in double-room number 5. Here is my review especially about that room:
- Internet: Wi-Fi internet is in the room number 5 and in the restaurant available. The signal in the room and on the balcony is sometimes bad, so it’s better to use it in the restaurant or on the terrace of the restaurant. The speed of the internet connection is at Rock Sand Resort average, compared to other hostels or hotels in Thailand. Sometimes it doesn’t work. But that’s not a problem only of the resort’s internet, that’s a problem on the whole island.
- At Rock Sand Resort they offer snorkeling-tours and boat trips. I’ve nothing booked.
- Breakfast is not included, but the restaurant offers a variety of western style breakfast.
- There is a restaurant in the resort that is opened all day long.
- They offer laundry service for 40 Baht/kg. I used this service. The laundry was clean.
- Check-out time is 12 AM.
- The staff at the reception and in the restaurant are friendly.
In my double-room (number 5) I found the following facilities:
- You can lock the door with a key.
- Room has a terrace where you can see the sea directly in front of you.
- In the room there are no desk or cupboard.
- There is a window in the room and it can be opened.
- There is a net without holes against mosquitos in front of the window.
- The bed is pretty high – smaller people have to jump a little bit to reach it.
- Fan is available and works well.
- There is a safe in the room – you can choose your own code, but the staff can also open it with a key.
- I am not sure, but I think smoking is in the room not allowed.
- There is no TV-set in the room.
- In the room it was sometimes a little bit noisy because of the waves and peopling passing in front of the window.
- They keep the rooms clean, change towels and make your bed once a week.
- The bathroom is located in the room.
- There is a shower directy in the bathroom – there is no separate cabin.
- Hot water worked well.
- Toilet paper and towel are provided. If you run out of toilet paper you have to ask at the reception.
- From the sewers it was sometimes a little bit stinky. I’ve closed the one outlet on the floor in the bathroom, when I didn’t need it – so it was better.
Location of the Rock Sand Resort:
- From the place, where the small busses stop in front of “Seven Eleven” it’s about 5 minutes’ walk along the beach to the Rock Sand Resort. If you have a trolley or a suitcase you sould use the path behind the bungalows at KC-Resort. It’s easier to carry the luggage there.
- You can easily find the resort. The house is built on rocks directly on the beach. They have a big terrace that is built over the water.
- Within 5 minutes’ walk there is the main street with a lot of stores, bares and restaurants.
- There is a restaurant directly in the building. Along the beache there are some restaurants and bars. You can enjoy the sunset there and they offer great thai- and international food on the beach.
I enjoyed the stay in the Rock Sand Resort. The room number 5 was furnished basic but it was clean. One thing, I didn’t like, was the stench from the sewers. I could fix it a little bit, when I closed the outlet in the bathroom. I felt welcome and safe there.
Along the White Sand Beach there are some nice, small resorts with bungalows. Read also my reviews about Maylamean bungalows, that is next to Rock Sand Resort.