On my first trip to Hamburg in Germany I stayed at the “Hotel Residence”, a cheap 3-star rated hotel. Following I write about my experiences in staying at his hotel.
The “Hotel Residence” is located in the district of St. Georg about five minutes’ walk from Hamburg mainstation. I stayed there as backpacker with a friend from November 2 to November 6, 2011 in a double room (one big bed). Here is my review:
- Internet: Wi-Fi internet is in the room available. You get a key for free at the reception. The speed of the internet connection is, compared to other hotels in Germany, average.
- Breakfast is included (toast, jam, butter, tee, coffee, sausages…)
- Check-out time is 11 AM.
- The staff at the reception are very friendly.
- The reception is 24 hours open.
- You have to leave the key at the reception when you leave the hotel.
In my double room number 11 I found the following facilities:
- You can lock the door with a key.
- Room has no balcony.
- In the room is a desk for working and a sofa.
- They offer small bottles of mineral water in the room for sale.
- There are two windows in the room and they can be opened.
- Smoking is in the room not allowed – Non smoker room.
- TV-set with small screen and a lot of TV-programs in good quality.
- In the room it was quiet. You look through the windows to the backyard of the hotel.
- They keep the rooms really clean, change towels and make your bed every day.
- The bathroom is located in the room, you do not share it with other guests.
- There is a bath tub combined with a shower.
- Hot water works well. Sometimes it is a little bit tricky to mix the hot and the cold water.
- Toilet paper, soap and two towels per person are provided.
Location of the Hotel Residence:
- The train station Hamburg mainstation and the subyway station (U-Bahn) “Hauptbahnhof Süd” are very close. To the train station it’s about 5 minute’s walk.
- Directions and maps shown on Expedia are right – the arrow in Google Maps shows the hotel on the opposit side of the street. It is very easy to find the hotel first time. There is a big sign.
- There are a lot of international markets and shops around Steindamm, the street where the hotel is located. You will also find cheap food there.
- There are a lot of restaurants, bars and bistros around. You will find international food from German to Turkish and Indian food. Some restaurants are open all the night long.
- In the same street there are some sex-shops, a variety theatre and gambling houses. It’s not the “cleanest” street of Hamburg, but I didn’t feel uncomfortable there.
- The hotel is also located close to the gay area in Hamburg St. Georg. There are some gay bars, clubs, coffee shops and shops within 5 to 10 minute’s walk.
I enjoyed the stay in the Hotel Residence in Hamburg. It’s a really central place. From there you can reach the subway, train station and all of the tourist attractions of Hamburg very easily.
Well: The district of St. Georg is a little bit dirty – but I didn’t feel afraid there any time. Especially in the hotel I felt very safe and really welcome.
And what experiences did you have in Hotel Residence in Hamburg? Tell us and write a review here!